Skip to main content

why yes, I DO dare disturb this universe. an ode to 2014 (:

“For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice.” ― T.S. Eliot


@Mahabalipuram with my father. The bandages are from the fight-or-flight incident mentioned below. Never bunker dive or run away screaming from wild monkeys into gardens walled by stone. 


This year has been a trying one, but I am so grateful for how much I've grown emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. I questioned and hardened my core beliefs and values, which were tried beyond their limits.

This year marked many firsts and surprises for me. I quit school--stepping away from an institution most revere-- to examine what brought me there in the first place. I found that many situations were of the "right place, wrong time" variety or even  the "wrong place, wrong time", with only time illuminating the difference.
My favorite meal in Hyderabad.
Paneer Tikka Masala Dosa, South Indian filter coffee, and mango ice cream. 

I went to Hyderabad to work for Creya Learning as an Assessment Development Intern. I learned so much about operations and startups. I learned how a kind word could change my week. And sometimes, playing hooky to go watch "Maleficent" in the brutal Hyderabadi heat is just mandatory. I learned that "chai breaks" are actually for smoking (umm... no thanks?), and "walks" are for ice cream. I learned that food is the shared language of the soul. And how McDonalds fries can somehow transform a faraway empty box of a rented room into home. I learned that family is resilient, like rocks, weathered and beaten by the waves, yet ever present-- unbroken. I learned that when presented with an unmastered foe like the indian macaque, I lack the courage to fight on, and flee. I learned that my cousins are the same as me: in musical tastes, ways we think, our favorite foods. In a world where change is constant, it is nice to have go-tos, and give-ins. I learned how baus my grandparents are. And how much I value their input and opinions, sometimes even more than my parents'. They have age-old wisdoms, tried and verified. And my grandpa totally plays it straight with me, out of love and the mirrored self he sees. I learned that I can not only survive in my homeland, but somewhat thrive!
My mother and I at a randomly private Maine beach for my 22nd birthday (:  

Then, I discovered how much fun a real down-home summer could be. I went kayaking and beaching with my family and my friends. I explored New England. I paddle-boated for the first time! I enjoyed every minute. I turned 22, and could fully understand that happy, free, confused, and lonely feeling Taylor Swift talks about, but mostly felt the happy & free.

Then, as summer turned to fall, I started to work. I started temping at Harvard, and learned just how much status matters at the ivy. Then, started temping at MIT, and realizing that etiquette, combined with my scientific know-how, and event-planning, can somehow all combine into all sorts of dream jobs for myself. I worked at MIT Media Lab & Admissions & MechE and stumbled into new professional and personal mentorships.

I started working for and with Paraclete pro bono and loving South Boston. I conducted walking explorations of Boston and Cambridge, often and lengthy. I joined a folk-dance team, Boston Garba, and performed at the same event I danced for more than a decade ago. I walked sunrises and sunsets to work. I started to run-- a true surprise in that I enjoyed it. I had a crazy Halloween, flanked by my best friends, and embodied MIA on a karaoke stage.

I gallivanted around Boston with one of my oldest friends, showing her my hometown and favorite spots. I learned how to have a proper night out. And how to face the music, and teach my parents that I am a grown woman and the art of empty-nesting.  

I went to San Francisco for Social Innovation Summit, and ended up at the helm of counter-programming for the action-oriented "unconference", doing and being who I truly am at my core, serving my kind of people. While there, I happened to visit a few of my favorite human beings: my college best friend and my trojan big sister. Just the few hours I spent with them was enough perspective to help me get my life in order.

I drove down the Eastern seaboard with my family to move them into their next adventure in Boca. And I actually drove! I was at the helm through North and South Carolina, learning that roadtrips take their tolls on the drivers. I also appreciate my folks more for all they've done for me that I must learn to do myself now that they reside (mostly) in Florida.
Knights of the Armory exhibit in an empty Metropolitan Museum of Art. Thank you, @Sree!  

I visited New York City (by car, regrettably)  and fell in love with winter in the Big Apple. I reconnected with a friend, and cemented our friendship with deep talks and jokes. I learned that loneliness is not the same as being alone, and that I never truly am alone in this world. I learned to fend for myself through "things that just happen" to me.
@ Horn Pond in Woburn, after a crazy day. 

I dabbled in the art of asking and being authentic, and was rewarded with open arms, positivity, and semi-employment. I cannot believe that I now am working in my hometown for both my local access cable station,writing&producing&hosting my own real TV show and developing curriculum initiatives for my middle school. It is the dream. Pinch me, I cannot believe that I get the opportunity to do this work, finally, for real!

Here's to more self-discovery and hard work to live the dreams we dream in 2015. Here are my new year's resolutions! Would love to hear yours (:
 


XOXO,
Maithreyi

Maithreyi 'Ray' Shankar
@reyisofsunshine
http://raysofsunshine.me
reyisofsunshine@icloud.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not standing still, I'm lying in WAIT.

The lyrics of "Wait for It" always have me belting at the top of my lungs at any moment I hear them: in the shower, in the car, in my house when I am chilling out and trying to relax by listening to "Hamilton"... This line in particular: "I am inimitable, I am a original... I'm not falling behind or running late, I'm not standing still, I'm lying in WAIT." stands out to me because at 25, and living in 2017 with all the social media highlight reels of my friends' lives, I constantly need to remind myself that life is a marathon, and I am at a completely different point of it than my peers -- and comparing them is doing me no favors and not necessary. I am an ORIGINAL. And I am setting the chess pieces of my life into motion, but I also have to yield final control to the universe. The steps I have taken: pursuing courses in Data Science and Public Speaking, applying to graduate school, making connections both in my company and in the Boston

From the Silk Road to the Information Superhighway: Navigating Diversity in Global Society Amidst Terror

Last week, France finally hit the crescendo from the religious right toward the liberal left in the form of the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, a satirical newspaper who have published provoking comics, attacking every group and way of life as a way to poke fun at humanity. However, it can be said that you can mean what you say, and say what you mean, but you can never control how someone feels about it. And this was just the last straw for those "extremists" living in France.  The French government places so many restrictions on faith practices that differ from the French or Gallic way of life. Christianity is allowed to be openly expressed in the form of Christmas markets and festivals, while hijabi women are condemned for wearing their faith expression through fashion.  The meanings of faith expressions belong to those expressing, not the government. If you ask a hijabi woman if she feels she has freedom in relation to what she's wearing, she oftentimes does. The c

Florida 2012 Day II: Universal Islands of Adventure!

I've decided to post my blogs about my family vacation to Florida from 8/15 to 8/20.  Here's the second one, August 16th: our day at Universal Islands of Adventure!   (These are directly transcribed from my written diary on my iPad.) Pre-Universal          "          I woke up super early due to my brother's snoring: that boy can SNORE! But I can't go back to sleep because I feel like I am in those retro Disney World commercials where the two kids can't fall asleep and giggle all night in excitement because today is IT! The day I finally see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!           I never thought my family would ever go on this trip, but here we are! I am so excited to try pumpkin juice and butterbeer, buy Hogwarts presents for my loved ones and myself, and just taking in the atmosphere of being in Hogsmeade and Hogwarts, even in the midst of Florida humidity.           I'm almost unrecognizably different and grown up since  the seventh Har