Skip to main content

The Early November

Some of my updates on life, thoughts about the election, and all the neverending connections I keep making that exhaust, exhilarate, and motivate me: 

      So, I haven't blogged since 9/11, not because of a shortage of topics to blog about, but more because I was ill-equipped to deal with my life, and was thrust into multiple situations and confrontations and leadership scenarios that I had hardly anticipated. Within the months of September and October, I reframed and redefined my priorities in life as well as for this year, and my current involvement reflects those shifts. 

Here's a quick list of the things I have done in September & October: 
  • recruited 8 new dancers for USC Drishti
  • practiced every week until near the end of October for different performances 
  • performed at APASA Nightmarket
  • done henna design work for 7 people
  • worked faithfully for a social venture that I am really excited to be a part of
  • networked with every guest lecturer in my NASA/Mars Exploration class
  • given a guest-lecture as part of a South Asian American High School Youth Leadership Seminar
  • volunteered at the South Asian Network 22nd Gala
  • phonebanked for Prop 30 in California 
  • voted in the presidential election (in Massachusetts via absentee ballot) 
  • canvassed in Artesia for Project DesiVote! 
  • helped run API Undocumented Scholarship Fundraiser: Power and Love 
  • supported my friends in their endeavors
  • had fun with my DC Crew in Los Angeles on multiple occasions 
  • made multiple new friends in many new friend circles; gotten ten times closer with some people I am blessed to have in my life
  • gotten multiple professional and personal critiques that I am taking in stride; life is about improvement and moving forward, not looking back. 
  • was an ironic hipster for Halloween
  • volunteered at Weemes Elementary for seven consecutive weeks to read with Jasmin 
  • went to multiple graduate school, fellowship, and job information sessions
  • talked to multiple advisors and mentors and people I look up to regarding my career path: consensus? I'm gonna be okay.
      So yeah, it's been a busy few months, and that's not even ALL of it. Just the things I can remember!
All throughout these months though, I just keep on feeling blessed. I feel like I am pushing myself to my limits mentally and physically, but at the end of the day, I matter to my community. I feel like that feeling is new in some ways: I am not so sure I would have felt that integral last year. And in some ways, I still feel insignificant, and like the whole world would be better off without me. But I am learning to accept that I cannot matter to everyone, and that the people who matter to me should be the only ones I truly care about--but I also need to still make that push for community, and being a voice for the voiceless. It's a tough balance. 

      October was really hard on me: academically, personally, professionally. In some ways, I feel like November hit the reset button for me. In the wise words of All Time Low, maybe it's not my weekend, but this is definitely going to be my year. I feel like hitting everything with a big heavy slab of positivity is something I need to be mindful of. 

      Through meeting politically radical and leftist people, instead of the typical "screw the world" attitude, I instead have this Hero Complex. I have this need to fix things that cannot be quenched. Oh this system is in trouble? I'LL FIX IT. Oh, the nation is in shambles? I have your policy plan right here! I know I have this uncontainable energy, but I  desperately need something to funnel it into, whether that be science education reform or special education reform or just overall education policy shifts. I need to focus in on SOMETHING or else, I am very much in danger of not achieving much of anything. 

      But then, when I start to narrow my scope in life, I have this moment where I realize that I am twenty-years-old. Anyone I have met or admired was still in school at the age of 20. Or doing stupid things at the age of 20. Or still growing up, or figuring out their wants, needs, priorities at the age of 20. I have an edge on them in that I am done with my academic requirements, as such, but just because I will have graduated does not mean that I will be magically transformed into a self-realized 22-year-old. I am twenty, like it or not-- and I need to grow up on my own terms. 

      So I am finally becoming open-minded about this whole job thing. I realize that the skills I need come from multiple disciplines, and I could very well work in any sector, if I wished. I love media: realizing that now, I feel so dismayed I didn't just go for broadcast journalism whilst I had the chance. I love the idea of teaching, and every week I fall more in love with children and especially young kids with bright futures. I feel like the world is at my fingertips, so much possibility, that the pressure of that crushes me. Thank god for my family, friends, and mentors. These people keep me grounded. Let me know that I will not be without aid throughout this, and also make sure that I do not grind myself too hard throughout this stressful ordeal. 


          And so, while the elections turned out somewhat positively, with all sorts of women taking up power, and the first Hindu-American WOMAN in office anywhere, I offer this video: Barack Obama thanking his organizers. Such a full circle moment for him, and such a moving thing for me to watch. I can identify with 25-year-old idealistic Barack, and I think that being able to not only talk with but also feel connected to one's leader is so important in good governance. I am proud that he is my president regardless of some of his policies because I know that his path there was hard won. Having read "Dreams From My Father" last December, I know his history, and he had been just as lost, if not more lost than me at twenty-years-old. Hearing those narratives humbles me. Obama's right in this video: we are better, but we are better because we can follow his lead. We can follow the lead of other young entrepreneurs, other young movers and shakers. This world is all about solidarity, if you know where to look. 

And with that, I bid you adieu! Til the morrow. 
xoxo, 
Maithreyi 

NaNoWriMo: 1600 ish? 
late night dominos: iii :( 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not standing still, I'm lying in WAIT.

The lyrics of "Wait for It" always have me belting at the top of my lungs at any moment I hear them: in the shower, in the car, in my house when I am chilling out and trying to relax by listening to "Hamilton"... This line in particular: "I am inimitable, I am a original... I'm not falling behind or running late, I'm not standing still, I'm lying in WAIT." stands out to me because at 25, and living in 2017 with all the social media highlight reels of my friends' lives, I constantly need to remind myself that life is a marathon, and I am at a completely different point of it than my peers -- and comparing them is doing me no favors and not necessary. I am an ORIGINAL. And I am setting the chess pieces of my life into motion, but I also have to yield final control to the universe. The steps I have taken: pursuing courses in Data Science and Public Speaking, applying to graduate school, making connections both in my company and in the Boston

From the Silk Road to the Information Superhighway: Navigating Diversity in Global Society Amidst Terror

Last week, France finally hit the crescendo from the religious right toward the liberal left in the form of the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, a satirical newspaper who have published provoking comics, attacking every group and way of life as a way to poke fun at humanity. However, it can be said that you can mean what you say, and say what you mean, but you can never control how someone feels about it. And this was just the last straw for those "extremists" living in France.  The French government places so many restrictions on faith practices that differ from the French or Gallic way of life. Christianity is allowed to be openly expressed in the form of Christmas markets and festivals, while hijabi women are condemned for wearing their faith expression through fashion.  The meanings of faith expressions belong to those expressing, not the government. If you ask a hijabi woman if she feels she has freedom in relation to what she's wearing, she oftentimes does. The c

Indescribable Feelings.

When trying to figure out what to write about next, I thought about the current state of the world. I thought about how one can feel so happy yet so unhappy all at the same time. I thought about the neverending flux of time, and how in any moment, a person can be dying while another is being born. One person going through utter agony while the other shines in triumph. I thought about how my family could enjoy a meal and a road trip to Maine, while the 24 hour news cycle was bringing the nation live coverage of the unfolding massacre in Wisconsin. This dichotomy along with the continual broadcast of the 30th Olympic Games in London made me think about how little I appreciated this meme and how much this above graphic says about humanity.  Though these exact words do not exist in English, these experiences are universal. That bond the world over is seen day in and day out in the Olympics. Not only is the majority of the world competing in some form, but in that friendly competiti