Skip to main content

Profound Meditation Through Password Hints



typography break while applying. lyrics from Weight of Living II by Bastille
Self-reflection. It's something we as a people tend to save for later. Saved for the gaps in the rat race that is school and career. Saved for the comma in the sentence, the opportunity to breathe, granted once every few years. Saved for the pauses while we wait anxiously for life to press play again.

As Cory mentioned, half-birthdays are a good point to reflect on the road you're on, as you keep on running, but what about those unintended stabs of self reflection we've all seen dozens of times? Those questions that probe on our common experiences as humans, but also make you think about your life journey and how you got to here. That's right, the friendly little password reminder!

Since I am on the job hunt, I have been making account after account on different employer websites, and I am usually in such a hurry to just get on and submit the cover letter I spent the last hour perfecting, that I have mastered my username and password-making skills. But then, this screen will often stop me dead in my tracks. "What was the street you lived on when you were 5?" "Who was your favorite childhood friend?" "What was the name of your favorite teacher?"

 These simple, inocuous questions make me think, sometimes really introspectively, about how luck, hard work, people, and opportunities have made me who I am today. They also make me thankful for every path I have been lead down because though they may not have seemed worthwhile at the time, they have all taught me valuable lessons and helped me in unforeseen ways.

When I read, "In which city was your first job?" my brain whirrs, running this inner-monologue.  Does that mean the first-ever time I filled out a W-2? That would be blogging for The84, an anti-smoking campaign for teenagers back when I was in high school, getting paid $18 a post. The 84 was based in Boston, but my title was MetroWest Blogger, so do I say my hometown? But then again, I hosted events for the organization in Worcester, so maybe there? Should I just go with a job from USC?

And the freeing aspect of these answers being for my eyes only makes the whole inadvertent reflection even more worthwhile even if I end up selecting a more no-frills straight-fact question/answer combo like "Where were you born?"

My favorite of these password reminders are those that ask about your  "favorites". My preferences change a lot, and they change over time. So asking me who my "favorite childhood friend" confounds me because sometimes it is who I am still in contact with today, sometimes I am nostalgic and think back to people I miss and how life took us in different directions. As wishy-washy as it sounds, I really do NOT have one favorite!

So the next time you face that password reminder question, think of the multitude in your answers. Think of the roads not taken, and how lucky you were to travel the road leading you to this moment.

Take that rare breath to just take inventory and appreciate the serendipity of life.

peace, love, sunshine. x
maithreyi :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not standing still, I'm lying in WAIT.

The lyrics of "Wait for It" always have me belting at the top of my lungs at any moment I hear them: in the shower, in the car, in my house when I am chilling out and trying to relax by listening to "Hamilton"... This line in particular: "I am inimitable, I am a original... I'm not falling behind or running late, I'm not standing still, I'm lying in WAIT." stands out to me because at 25, and living in 2017 with all the social media highlight reels of my friends' lives, I constantly need to remind myself that life is a marathon, and I am at a completely different point of it than my peers -- and comparing them is doing me no favors and not necessary. I am an ORIGINAL. And I am setting the chess pieces of my life into motion, but I also have to yield final control to the universe. The steps I have taken: pursuing courses in Data Science and Public Speaking, applying to graduate school, making connections both in my company and in the Boston

From the Silk Road to the Information Superhighway: Navigating Diversity in Global Society Amidst Terror

Last week, France finally hit the crescendo from the religious right toward the liberal left in the form of the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, a satirical newspaper who have published provoking comics, attacking every group and way of life as a way to poke fun at humanity. However, it can be said that you can mean what you say, and say what you mean, but you can never control how someone feels about it. And this was just the last straw for those "extremists" living in France.  The French government places so many restrictions on faith practices that differ from the French or Gallic way of life. Christianity is allowed to be openly expressed in the form of Christmas markets and festivals, while hijabi women are condemned for wearing their faith expression through fashion.  The meanings of faith expressions belong to those expressing, not the government. If you ask a hijabi woman if she feels she has freedom in relation to what she's wearing, she oftentimes does. The c

Indescribable Feelings.

When trying to figure out what to write about next, I thought about the current state of the world. I thought about how one can feel so happy yet so unhappy all at the same time. I thought about the neverending flux of time, and how in any moment, a person can be dying while another is being born. One person going through utter agony while the other shines in triumph. I thought about how my family could enjoy a meal and a road trip to Maine, while the 24 hour news cycle was bringing the nation live coverage of the unfolding massacre in Wisconsin. This dichotomy along with the continual broadcast of the 30th Olympic Games in London made me think about how little I appreciated this meme and how much this above graphic says about humanity.  Though these exact words do not exist in English, these experiences are universal. That bond the world over is seen day in and day out in the Olympics. Not only is the majority of the world competing in some form, but in that friendly competiti