Skip to main content

Florida 2012 Day IV: NASA JFK Space Center!

I have decided to post my blogs about my family vacation to Florida from 8/15 to 8/20.

 Here's the second one, August 17th: our day at NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral! 
 (These are directly transcribed from my written diary on my iPad.)

     At this NASA Center, we first took a lot of pictures, then we checked out the Early Space Exploration exhibit, waiting for the lunch with the astronaut Charlie Walker. He presented about "food in space"while we ate fried ravioli, salad, TANG, and apple pie. Then, I asked a question during the Q&A. We proceeded to take pictures with Charlie Walker and then watched the old IMAX movie about the International Space Center. We continued to check out some of the NASA art before the shuttle and simulator. (I went, the 3 wimps didn't!) Then I went to the Space Store to wait for the Charlie Walker signing, buying some reasonably priced souvenirs for me and Adi. I went to the Hubble 3D at a later showing than my family, and had a nice chat with my lovely roommate while waiting in line. Hubble 3D was awe-inspiring! I snuck some pictures :) Then after a quick picture with the Space Shuttle Inspiration we returned on the road to Orlando.

     NASA is so inspirational because they are a program that never gets the funding they need, always is on the cutting edge of the world/universe, and are doing the inspirational work of still always finding somewhere else to wander--always discovering new lands, new times. I would love to be involved with them some time in the future, and through my TO class I get an exposure I would not otherwise!

Here are some pictures from that trip:























xoxo,
maithreyi



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diwali Dreamin'

An ode to home, real November, and the friends who don't need to know everything to know what I want and need: I miss it. I miss being more than these polite souls, who say hello in public, and are like sisters in shadows. I miss being in the cold air, crisp, with my voice puffing out laughs with the last of my breath in the freezing winter's night, running like our youth, our time together, out like a match. I miss the house I had lived in for fifteen "carefree" years, unaware of its fleeting glory, it's ineffable beauty of simplicity. I want nothing more than one more night on your moth-eaten, lumpy, comfy old sofa. With old movies and new, echoes of our childhood and our future playing alongside the soundtracks. I need one more silly spontaneous dessert date, if only to reaffirm that you will never waver, and will always be there. Even if you change your clothes, or your style, you'll be my homes. I wish for one day more: to make a change. To t...

Florida 2012 Day V: Grapestomping Good Time!

I have decided to post my blogs about my family vacation to Florida from 8/15 to 8/20. Here's the fifth one, August 18th: Our day at the Lakeridge Winery! (These are directly transcribed from my written diary on my iPad.) "We're went to Lakeridge Winery for their annual Grapestomp to listen to local music, and STOMP some grapes! We took some pictures, stomped some grapes (my mother and I tried employing bharatanatyam skills to no avail.) Then Aditya and I drank homemade Godiva dark chocolate raspberry chocolixers with relish fries on the side. Surprisingly good! We then ate a picnic lunch of Indian food my mother packed from our full kitchen in our suite amidst ants and giant dragonflies. I got my face painted solely for the opportunity to enter the bouncy castle with little children. :) Then we ate more chocolate and drank shots of limoncello, waiting for the tour to begin. Doug our tour guide was hilarious. We all drank a few more samples, and I bought some pres...

etymological anomalies i drop constantly.

Oftentimes, by virtue of being an internet-junkie, I pick up sayings and isms and things without really realizing where they originated. My brain is like Nicholas Allen's from Andrew Clements' brilliant book Frindle , I make up neologisms because they are fun, and use them often because I love and value cultural soupage of verbage. (See? Can't help it!)  So here are a few of my favorite more recent etymological anomalies  that I tend to drop every other word. #SariNOTsorry ;)  #LOWKEY I say this a lot. It's intended usage, according to urbandictionary, is to indicate that something is meant to be kept quiet or secret, or on the down-low .  Whate'er, I use it as a like or um or when I'm tryna talk quieter, but fail miserably.  #swaggher (& by extension,  #swoopswoop)   this has a very clear origin story. I re-watched the video above with new friends in chicago, and realized that the term "swaggher" and "swoopswoop" had the...