Skip to main content

Routines vs. Ruts

It has been about a month since I started at Everbridge. After some initial growing pains and family adjustments, I feel as though I have the semblance of a routine down.
6:30 wake up
7:30 get in shower
8:15 leave for the office
8:20 ish reach the office, get a coffee, get set up
8:45 start the work day
5ish/6ish leave work
go for a walk / meet up with friends / errands
eat dinner
watch or read something
sleep

from my instagram: a fox hill flower caught when I was running. 

The day gradually loses it's rigid scheduling post-work, but I think that is healthy and necessary for me. The mornings are MY TIME, I have learned. No one else is awake. I love the sound of my feet hitting pavement. No dogs are awake to bark at me. I can belt my tunes out @ Fox Hill and have nary a witness. I love finding a new playlist, and just ambling on by, my feet figuring out the route of the day. Chasing the sun, but in a pleasurable way that lacks urgency and more infused with the effervescent of a new day dawning. And now that I have said it online, a small piece of that anonymity is lost. But it amuses me because this running or walking in my neighborhood self-care piece has been a longstanding habit of mine since middle school when I would take my fat iPod Video out on walks with a Harry Potter podcast loaded for the way, rain or shine. There's a calm quiet my brain enjoys because it fills that space with roaming thoughts and little queries and hums to life from the groggy sleep-mode of the night. That time is vital. No negotiations-- it is carved out on my calendars as ME time. But the beauty of a morning routine is that no carving is inherently required; sunrises occur daily, but you have to will yourself not to miss them.

xoxo,
maithreyi (or I guess I go by Ray now? A post on that development to come! :P)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida 2012 Day I: St. Augustine!

I've decided to post my blogs about my family vacation to Florida from 8/15 to 8/20. Here's the first one: August 15th, our day in St. Augustine! (These are directly transcribed from my written diary on my iPad.) "We arrived in Florida at 3 am this morning, and slept til 9, had coffee by the pool, went swimming, showered, ate pav bhaji, then got ready to head to St. Augustine!" "St Augustine is the cutest, most picturesque little historic city. I definitely have a new city to love! We went to the Castillo de San Marcos , the oldest fort in the United States, had a ranger-led history lesson, and then ate a fantastic lunch at Acapulco  Authentic Mexican Restaurant. We then got ice cream from Fudge Buckets & Hyppos . I had a popsicle from Hyppos made with fresh cantaloupe and black pepper: spicy, delicious, and nutritious! We bought groceries since we are staying in a suite, and then bought umbrellas because Florida decided to monsoon on us. We wai

Florida 2012 Day II: Universal Islands of Adventure!

I've decided to post my blogs about my family vacation to Florida from 8/15 to 8/20.  Here's the second one, August 16th: our day at Universal Islands of Adventure!   (These are directly transcribed from my written diary on my iPad.) Pre-Universal          "          I woke up super early due to my brother's snoring: that boy can SNORE! But I can't go back to sleep because I feel like I am in those retro Disney World commercials where the two kids can't fall asleep and giggle all night in excitement because today is IT! The day I finally see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!           I never thought my family would ever go on this trip, but here we are! I am so excited to try pumpkin juice and butterbeer, buy Hogwarts presents for my loved ones and myself, and just taking in the atmosphere of being in Hogsmeade and Hogwarts, even in the midst of Florida humidity.           I'm almost unrecognizably different and grown up since  the seventh Har

It's the Life in Your (20) Years

"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years."~ Abraham Lincoln                   I am now twenty years old. It is so hard for me to believe that fact. In many ways, I feel like age is such a gradual thing. My friends and I seldom act our age, but if "acting your age" means you suddenly lose your sense of humor and become super-serious, I don't think I will ever act my age. I enjoy Disney too much. I enjoy walking around malls with my face covered in cake, laughing into blissful oblivion. I enjoy singing along to Justin Bieber in empty malls, waiting until the last possible minute to walk out, huddling into my friends as we brave the scarily vacant parking lot together. I enjoy ripping open fortune cookies to read what some Chinese factory believes is my good fortune while eating the crispy cookie without a pause.                    For me, twenty always felt like the end of the road in many ways. When I eve